Thursday, August 03, 2006

From: Paul Ryburn's Journal

Thursday update

I just got home from a meeting of the Center City Commission's Safety & Traffic Task Force. Very, very productive meeting and well worth taking an afternoon off work. All the major groups were there - Center City, Convention & Visitors Bureau, MPD, Ride the Ducks, Redbirds, Peabody Place Security, and many more... and, of course, Residents for a Safer Downtown Memphis. I took extensive notes, and as soon as I get them typed up I'll post them on the news section of RSDM's site.

However, I'm so excited about one thing that I'm going to go ahead and let the cat out of the bag: The Memphis Police Downtown Entertainment District has a new commander, Major Johnny Currin. The EDU is the unit that provides extra coverage from 7 PM to 3 AM when people are out having a good time. Through RSDM I have known Johnny for a couple of months now, and let me tell you, he is ready to take action. He has been out on the streets on foot himself the past several weekends. I can't tell you how encouraged I am about the safety situation downtown with him in charge.

I finally made it to Wine Wednesday at LoLo's Table last night, after meaning to go for several months. Every week they select a couple of reds and a couple of whites and put them on sale for $12 a bottle, which for a restaurant is an incredibly low price. So I brought a gorgeous blonde up there and we shared a bottle of Falling Star chardonnay. Food was great too - I ordered the trout, which turned out to be the biggest serving of fish I have ever seen in my life; she had the evening's special, which was a southwestern pasta with chicken.

Keep in mind that they also have Sangria Saturdays - pitchers of either red or white sangria for $8 when you also order food. I've never seen white sangria before - I'm going to have to go back sometime soon and give it a try.

ATTENTION NEIGHBORS IN MY BUILDING: Last Monday evening, the aforementioned gorgeous blonde came over and hung out at my apartment for the first time... and as soon as I mentioned the rooftop deck, the first words out of her mouth were, "We need to have a party up there." YEAH! Haven't we been talking about having a party on the roof for months and months? Enough talk; it's time for action! Let's make it happen.

I'm not going to the weekly party on the Peabody roof tonight. Sister Hazel is playing, and I avoid that place like the plague when they have a big-name band. Extra expensive and the lines are too long. Instead, I'll be hitting the Saucer for a couple of hours to type up the meeting notes on my laptop, then I'm going to a private party for my friend Novella Smith Arnold who is running for County Commission. Hopefully it will be a victory party.

Other than a private function on Saturday afternoon, I have no plans at all for the weekend at this point. Sometimes those turn out to be the best weekends though. I will say that I plan to be at Pint Nite at the Saucer on Monday. For some reason I have a feeling Pint Nite will be looking better than it has in months... about 10 months.

Dawgie Style, the new restaurant on Madison between Second and Third, is now open. According to the Center City Commission's Livin' It Up newsletter, they serve hot dogs, sub sandwiches and wraps. They're open 7 am to 11 pm Monday-Friday and 11 am to 10 pm Saturday and Sunday. Downtown residents: Please go by and give this place a try. We really need to support restaurants that have the guts to stay open into the evening hours downtown, rather than just for lunch. And they're open Sundays too - so I have a new place to stumble for a meal after my champagne bottle at Sleep Out's is finished. Cool.

All right. Time to pack up the laptop and go visit my waitresses.

No comments: