Tuesday, January 02, 2007

From: Paul Ryburn's Journal

Tuesday, January 02, 2007
Had a fun New Year's Eve. Since it was a Sunday, I started with brunch at Sleep Out Louie's, and hung around the entire day playing NTN Trivia. At one point in the afternoon regular blog reader Skippy made the mistake of challenging me to a trivia game, and I handed him a devastating loss. At 6 PM Crash Kole, Bobby Durango, and Smokin' Lemon took the stage:


They've been playing together for several months now and their act has gotten really tight. I could definitely tell Smokin' Lemon has been spending a lot of time practicing on the new guitar he got for Christmas.

At 8:00 we moved on to The Majestic Grille, where we had reservations for a table of 20. Their special New Year's Eve menu delivered the goods - I had a gorgonzola crusted filet with port wine reduction, with au gratin potatoes and broccoli, green beans, and snap peas sauteed in butter. Absolute best filet I've had in this city. They also had a gorgonzola encrusted ribeye which people told me was even better... ya know, I never order ribeyes when I go to restaurants. Probably because I ordered them at Bonanza when I was a kid. And at the time I thought "well done" (meaning: horribly overcooked) was the proper way to order a steak. Maybe I should give ribeyes another chance in 2007.

A lot of pictures were taken, and this time very few of them were taken with my camera, so I don't have a photo album to post. However, the picture of the night was taken by me - the Nuh-Uh Girl in a tube top:


The Nuh-Uh Girl and Chad tell me that they're going to try and get "blogworthy" added as a dictionary word. Example: "Is that tube top picture blogworthy?"

Thanks to Patrick and Deni at the Majestic for a great evening, and also thanks to our friend Mikey for setting up the reservations and the champagne. Good times.

Didn't make it to Big Foot Lodge on New Year's Eve, but I heard I missed some interesting developments that night. One of my blog readers knows what I'm talking about. If anyone has pics feel free to send 'em to me - I won't post 'em without permission, but wouldn't mind seeing them.

Wasn't awake on New Year's Day in time to hear Mayor Herenton's speech. However, I read some summaries later in the day, and the big news is that he wants to spend $30 million to build a new football stadium to replace the Liberty Bowl, with construction to begin in 2009.

I have to ask, WHY??? Why do we need a new stadium? Is the Liberty Bowl falling apart? Why is it that we can find $30 million to finance a new stadium, but we can't seem to find money to GIVE OUR POLICE OFFICERS THE RAISES THEY DESERVE??? Isn't that more important?

By the way, 5 years ago when the FedExForum was proposed, I was firmly and fully in support of building it, even if it meant raising taxes. I believed and still believe that bringing the Grizzlies to the city was a good move to make. But this is a different proposal. It's not like we have an NFL team saying, we're prepared to move to Memphis if you build us a stadium. Who's going to use the thing once it's built? Maybe if the Liberty Bowl were to be upgraded to BCS status, I could see it. But that's not going to happen. It just seems building it like a waste of money and we ought to be using it to pay our cops better. If there's a side to this story that I'm not seeing, please let me know.

Heard a rumor last night that the Hot Topic in Peabody Place Mall is closing, and they're selling everything in the store for 50% off, and some items are marked at 75%. So that might be worth checking out if you like their clothing.

I'm still off work this week, so I think I'll head out to the other mall today, the Wolfchase Galleria. I wonder how many residents of East Bumblefuck would list the Wolfchase Galleria as one of the Seven Wonders of the World? Quite a few, I'm sure. They'd probably list the Cordova Fox and Hound as one of the Wonders too. And Bahama Breeze.

Anyway, I'll have the camera with me, and if anything interesting happens out East (which I doubt) I'll take pictures. I'll be back downtown in time for Trivia Bowl tonight.
posted by Paul Ryburn

1 comment:

Modern Voice! said...

I think there is more to Memphis on scene then a tube top. Where are the pictures of the Guys?